Thursday, July 26, 2012

Reading Connections

I am reading Christine Feehan's Samurai Game. I am a fan of her Carpathian series, but this book part of the Ghostwalker series, which I do not follow. I was, however, hooked by the gorgeous cover.


Isn't it beautiful?

The heroine is a Japanese assassin. Her background reminded me of one of my favorite comic books: David Mack's Kabuki series.


The series was published in the late 1990s. It was a very unusual comic book series. There's almost no action which is unusual in a ninja-theme comic. The books are not very plot-heavy, but they are visually stunning. Mack uses a blend of watercolor and collage to illustrate his character's psychological fragmentation, and the combination is very effective.

Look at this cover:


The six panels can be turned into a box but the picture the woman is holding will be left out. Will the character be made whole when the box is put together or will a vital part be left out? Will the box be another mask with no connection to the essential self? You'll have to read the books to find out.

If you liked Samurai Game, I recommend you look at Kabuki. You won't regret it.

You can find out more at DavidMackGuide.com. They have excerpts and purchasing information.

1 comment:

  1. Your japanese heroine looks smart, beautiful, clever and lives between light and shadows... an interesting caracter. I´ll find out more information about David Mack's Kabuki series. Gracias,
    Ani, me encantan los comics.

    ReplyDelete