Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Planning - Recipes



I'm prepping for Memorial Day. That means I'm spending a lot of time on the internet looking for recipes. I know I'll end up being lazy and opening up bags of potato chips, but, hey, a girl can dream, right?

For drinks I like this Red, White and Blue Sangria. I looooove the star-shaped pineapple pieces. You have to slice a pineapple to make them, though, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Maybe I can use carámbola slices instead. I also like this Red, White and Blue Mojito.

My favorite, though, is the Red, White and Blue Piña Colada. I wouldn't use piña colada mix (heresy!), but blending berries and rum to make colored layers is genius.

The Latin Kitchen has a list of Latin American-style burgers. My favorite is the Frita Cubana. The recipe calls for a julienned potato. Are you kidding? Everyone knows that Frita Cubana is make with canned potato sticks.

Grilled Chorizos with Salsa would also be good. I think the chorizo would require a really chunky, fresh salsa. Scratch that, I'm not sure salsa will stand up to the chorizo. I would try chimichurri sauce. I may not have time to make it from scratch, but Goya has a really good jarred chimichurri sauce. I can use that.

I absolutely must have platanutres and arañitas, and they must be dipped in the official condiment of Puerto Rico: MayoKetchup sauce.

I need some other side dishes. I found an Adobo Corn Salad recipe that looks yummy. I might add some tomatoes and maybe some sweet green peppers to the recipe though. I also found a Mango Coleslaw recipe that looks interesting.

Cheese Flan would be great for dessert. I would garnish with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries to go with the Memorial Day theme.

I also like these Tres Leches Cupcakes. I'm a bit scared of them, though. I don't see how you can get the cupcakes wet enough to qualify as Tres Leches without making a mess. I'm afraid that these would have to be a little bit dry and dry Tres Leches cake is pointless.

I love Mantecaditos. The recipe calls for guava, but I would use red, white and blue sprinkles for Memorial Day.

What are you making for Memorial Day?

Photo from Morguefile

No comments:

Post a Comment