Thursday, January 14, 2016

Link Fiesta

Laurie Mclean's predictions for 2015. Very good post. I like her very sensible advice for midlist authors: branch out into self-pub. Apparently, if your book(s) doesn't hit it big in six months your trad pub career is over. It's best to have a backup plan to keep those trad pub fans when you (inevitably, it seems) go indie.

Strategies for Success. Good tips for starting the year right.

How to fake a clean house when guests are coming. Useful advice for writers. ;)

How to build an author site. Good tips. I'm always looking for ways to improve my website. I'm thinking of adding a Banshee Creek recipes section. Yummy!

Camilla Monk demystifies the Amazon book number. I've never really got a handle on the author rank number. I know David Gaughran published a handy spreadsheet (here it is!) but this is also very useful.

Should you write what's hot? Hmm. I don't know where I stand on this. On the one hand, writing off-trend makes your marketing a lot harder, but, on the other hand, you're writing something you (hopefully) love AND collecting true fans along the way. This should (again, hopefully) pay off once the trend fades away. I've seen a lot of New Adult and shifter authors struggle now that their trends are maturing so it's worth thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment