Monday, November 11, 2013

The Easy-Peasy Minecraft Birthday Party


My kids are Minecraft crazy. The game has taken over our computer, our house, and our life.
So, of course, when we made birthday plans for the kids they had only one request, Minecraft birthday party.

I'm not a crafty person, so I panicked when I realized that there are no pre-made Minecraft party supplies. (Hello, Mojang, fabulous licensing opportunity here). A google search did not calm me down. People do make home-made Minecraft parties, but the ideas I found on the 'net were far beyond my meager crafting and baking skills. There's a lot of very creative parents out there, but, sadly, I'm not one of them.

But, after much brainstorming and googling, I did manage to put together a relatively simple Creeper-themed party. So, here it is, the Easy-Peasy Lemon-Squeezy Minecraft Birthday Party.


I found lime green supplies at Target and Party City. I bought bags, plates, napkins, and cutlery.


I printed out a creeper face template and used it to make the bags. I used black construction paper and pasted it on the bags with rubber cement. I also ordered a bunch of green balloon (half are transparent and half are opaque).

 Then I made a creeper cake. It turned out beautifully.


I'm not a good baker by any means. I found the square cake molds at Michael's.  The supermarket carried black frosting and green frosting paint.


I used two boxes of chocolate cake mix. I made two square layers and put the one on top of the other with chocolate frosting in the middle. I then covered the cake with plain white frosting. I laminated one of the creeper face templates and placed  it in the middle of the cake.

Then I sprayed the white frosting with green spray-on paint and prayed.

It worked!

I added some dark green sprinkles to give the green frosting a pixilated look. Then I took off the creeper face template. That left me with a white creeper face. I covered the white parts with the black icing.

Voilá! Instant creeper cake. It was super easy.

Next, I made some laminated bookmarks and keychains with printed creeper figures. I found the keychain kit and the lamination paper at Michael's.

This wasn't an elaborate party, but it was Minecrafty enough. My kids were happy and their friends were pretty impressed.

Luckily, the kids are now getting into Pokémon. I'm pretty sure I can find Pokémon party supplies at the party store. Whew!

Minecraft (and all associated images) are owned by Mojang Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment