Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Writing Advice from Twitter - #RT15 edition

Amber from Buried by Books live-tweeted the Urban Fantasy panel at #rt15. They made several good observations, which, I think, also apply to paranormal romance, since both are sub genres that need some freshening up. 

The cover design and book length comments were particularly interesting. No one mentioned steam level, though, and I think that's a big omission. The current shifter romance surge has a lot to do with the shorter format and sexy new covers, but I think the extra sexiness is key. I love the gritty cover style pioneered by Kevin Hearne and Daniel José Older, but last year's UF best seller was Ilona Andrews after her/their publisher started using couple covers. Grit may be a trend, but I'm not sure it's a bestselling trend.






No comments:

Post a Comment