Friday, November 6, 2015

Haunted House Romance

I posted this on the News Blog as part of the Snarkology Halloween Blog Hop, but I like is so much I'm reposting it here. Enjoy!

As you might expect, I love haunted houses, and some of my favorite romance books feature spooky homes and ghost stories. Since it’s Halloween season my taste in books is suddenly very topical and I decided to make a list. Without further ado, here are my favorite haunted house romances. Have you read any of these?

Kresley Coles’ Dark Deeds at Night’s Edge. I love Néomi’s doomed romance with her crazy vampire. The New Orleans mansion (which she built with her ballerina fortune and loved so much she couldn’t leave it) was fantastic and the romance was thrilling. The fact that they couldn’t touch for most of the book made for some very interesting sex scenes. I love the Immortals After Dark books (I’m still waiting for Nix’s HEA!) and this is one of my favorite stories in the series.

Nora Roberts’ MacKade Brothers trilogy. These romances are set in Antietam, a town haunted by Civil War ghosts. My favorite is The Return of Rafe MacKade, where Rafe is restoring a mansion with the help of antiques dealer Regan Dare. Rafe and Regan are both aggressive go-getters and they have great chemistry and banter. It’s a great book!

Kelly Moran’s Phantoms series is fantastic. The books all feature different members of the Phantoms paranormal investigations team. The leader of the group, British-born Jackson Granger investigates a haunted New England house in the first book in the series, Ghost of a Promise. Kelly Moran really knows her technical stuff (she gets all the EVPs right!) and the books are very interesting. 

The InnBoonsboro trilogy is another Nora series and one with a similar theme. The Montgomery brothers are remodeling a haunted inn (based on Roberts’ own property) but love gets in the way. The first book is The Next Always and it features a heart-rending romance between Architect Beckett Montgomery and bookstore owner, Clare Bennett, the girl he’s loved for fifteen years. Clare is a recovering victim of domestic violence so the love story is sweet and tender.

I haven’t read Kristen Ashley’s Penmort Castle (or the rest of the Ghosts and Reincarnations series) yet, but it’s on my to-read list. How about you? Have you read any haunted house romances? I’m always looking for new books to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment