Monday, October 3, 2016

Lucifer Recap, Season 2 Episode 1


Confession: I barely watched this episode.

Oh, I tuned it. The promo for this season, focusing on Mama Lucifer, has been fantastic. The season finale left me with high hopes. The news that Tricia Helfer was playing Mama Lucifer sent me into a swoon. She's one of my favorite actresses.

But I started dozing right away. Another murder investigation. Another crime scene where Chloe looks intense and committed, although weighed down by her serious-cop responsibilities. Another murder with satanic undertones (fake horns stabbed into the victim's skull? seriously?). Chloe's douchebag ex is still around. They're still having "issues."

Blah, blah, blah. Chloe's jackets are still gorgeous though. I want.

Even the addition of forensic expert/medical examiner (not sure which one she is, and, frankly, uncertain as to whether the writers know there's a difference)  Ella Lopez couldn't hold my interest. I love Aimee Garcia, but the quirky forensics nerd role has been done many, many times, and Ella isn't bringing anything new to the table. Her quirk is that she's Christian? Er, maybe that's super-strange in L.A., but for the rest of us a cross necklace does not a weirdo make.

The murder mystery was, as always, meh. Some kind of actressy jealousy plot with a grown-up child performer with serious hang ups. The actress resembled Selena Gomez, which was kind of uncomfortable. The murderer was easy to guess.

The B plot was Lucifer trying to prove to Chloe that he's really the devil. Yes, we're back to that. Sigh. Aminadel interferes and convinces Chloe that Lucifer faked his gunshot wound for...reasons. Chloe apparently believes him, which makes her the stupidest cop ever, but we knew that, right? She can't even tell if a gunshot would is real. Give. Me. A. Break.

Dr. Martin and Maze showed up and were fantastic. That was nice. This is going to be a "mommy issues" season, as opposed to the "daddy issues" one we had last season. Dr. Martin is not thrilled about that and neither am I. The music was great even if they used a Battlestar Galactica song. We get it, guys. We see what you're doing.

I was just about to give up on the episode when Mama Lucifer appeared. Tricia Helfer is riveting. Her scene with Tom Ellis was amazing. Great job. I'll keep watching because of her. Well, and also because I hope she kills Chloe (please, Lucifer writers, please). That would be a fantastic twist.

Also, we need more Trixie.


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment